Bites, Stings, & Poison


Bites from poisonous snakes can be deadly if not treated quickly. Because children have a smaller body size, they are at higher risk for death or serious complications.

Getting the victim advanced medical care and into an emergency room as quickly as possible is most important. A person’s life can be saved and serious effects avoided with the right anti-venom and quick action.

Signs & Symptoms

  • Bleeding from wound
  • Blurred vision
  • Burning of the skin
  • Convulsions
  • Dizziness
  • Excessive sweating
  • Fainting
  • Fang marks in the skin
  • Loss of muscle coordination
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Numbness and tingling
  • Severe pain
  • Skin discoloration
  • Swelling at the site of the bite
  • Weakness

Treatment: Activate EMS, apply a pressure immobilization bandage, keep injured area still and below the level of the heart.

Jellyfish Stings

Jellyfish stings should be washed with vinegar as soon as possible for at least 30 seconds, to inactivate the venom.

After washing well with vinegar, immerse affected area in hot water to help reduce pain.

Poison Control

The most important point for poisoning is to prevent it from happening. Store poisons, like cleaning products and medications, out of reach of children. Use cabinet and drawer safety locks.

Signs & Symptoms

  • Open bottles of medication or cleaning products near the victim
  • Altered level of consciousness
  • Hallucinations
  • Burning sensation in the chest and throat
  • Headache
  • Excessive sweating
  • Burns, stains, or blue tint around the mouth
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Severe abdominal cramping

Treatment: Activate EMS and call Poison Control Services, 1-800-222-1222. Follow their directions.