Burns, Eye Injuries, & Diabetes
- Red Skin
- White or Red Skin
- Body fluids leaking from the burn site
- Both numbness is burned area and severe pain in surrounding area
- Multicolored skin, black, white, gray, and red
- Severe body fluid loss
Treatment: Stop the burning. Cool burn with water, cover with dry sterile dressing (for chemical burns, flush with water for 15-20 minutes). For 1st and 2nd degree burns, activate EMS if severe conditions exist. For 3rd degree burns, electrical burns, and chemical burns activate EMS immediately. For electrical burns, look for entrance and exit burns. Care for shock, check and correct ABC.
- Burns – stop the burning, bandage both eyes
- Chemical – flush with warm water for 15-20 minutes and bandage both eyes
- Penetrating Trauma – Do not remove. Bandage the object into place, place a cup over object, and cover both eyes.
Treatment: Activate EMS if severe conditions exist. Seek professional medical treatment for all forms of eye injuries.
Signs & Symptoms
- Altered level of consciousness
- Personality changes
- Difficulty breathing
- Cool, clammy skin
Treatment: Give sugar if conscious. If unconscious or condition does not improve, activate EMS, check and correct ABC.